Show/Hide Navigation
Fast Sale Today
0800 311 2188
We're open 24/7
Request Callback

Who to Inform When Moving House

If you are in the process of moving house it can be difficult to remember all the things you have to do – such as who to notify when moving.  This is even more the case if you’ve sold your house fast and the process is moving quicker than usual. It is vital to let the right people and organisations know you have moved. Failing to do so might lead to some unpleasant issues, such as having to pay extra when it comes to loans or failing to receive important letters. To avoid finding yourself in this unpleasant situation we’ve made a checklist of the places you need to inform about your change of address.

Financial institutions


  • Banks
  • Insurance companies
  • Student loan company
  • Other loans
  • Loyalty cards

Perhaps some of the most important institutions you’ll need to notify about the change of address are financial institutions. These can include banks, loan companies, investment funds and other. Failing to do so can change your entitlement to getting any loans and could lead to a penalty interest. Simultaneously, you could be missing important mail, or it could ed up in the hands of the wrong person.

How do I change my address for financial institutions?

Changing your address should be easily done via the internet, on their website. However, if you have forgotten your log in details or have any questions you can’t find the answer for online, you should be able to contact them via phone, or in store when possible (for banks).

Governmental bodies


  • DVLA
  • DWP
  • HMRC
  • Local Council

Governmental bodies should be also be informed if you move house. These can include: your local council, the Department for Work and Pensions, TV licencing, Electoral roll, DVLA, and the HMRC (HM Revenue and Customs).

How do I notify governmental bodies of my change of address?

When it comes to Governmental bodies such as the DWP and HMRC, you can change your address or/and other circumstances by calling them on the numbers found on the official GOV website.

When it comes to the council tax, your personal address can be changed by completing an online form which can then be emailed or mailed. This for can be found on your local council’s website. Calling them is also an option if you have any questions.

Utility suppliers


  • Water
  • Gas
  • Electricity
  • Broad band
  • Mobile phone
  • TV Licence

You will also need to contact your Gas provider, Water supplier and Electricity provider. A change of address should be easily done via phone or online, depending on your supplier.

Changing your address for your TV Licence can be simply done via the official TV Licencing website, which also offers more information on how to do it.

Health services


  • GP
  • Vet
  • Dentist
  • Optician

Some of the most overlooked services when changing address are health services, however these are very important to keep in mind. Forgetting to change your GP can be very inconvenient if you need medical help as it can delay it significantly. So, if you’re moving house keep in mind your GP or other medical services such as opticians or dentists.  

You will need proof of the new address before changing GPs so keep that in mind as well.

Work and education


  • Employer
  • School
  • University

You will also need to let your employer know of your new address along with any educational institutions, such as your or your child’s school, college or university.

Entertainment and subscriptions


  • Magazine subscriptions
  • Clothing websites
  • Food delivery websites
  • Amazon/eBay account
  • Gym membership

While Governmental and financial institutions are a priority, don’t forget about your entertainment subscriptions as well. These can be newsletters, Amazon account, clothing websites, food delivery websites and even gyms. You won’t want your parcels or food deliveries to go to your previous address. The new owner/tenant might be excited to receive some surprise Chow Mein, but that won’t be very fun for you.

The address for all of the above can be simply changed online.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Get Your Free Quote

By submitting your details you are NOT committed to sell your house