Should I Downsize My Home?
There are a number of reasons why people decide to downsize their home. For some downsizing requires a lot of thought and the decision is made over time, for others the urge to downsize comes quickly. Downsizing your home can be a good move for many reasons. We have listed below the common reasons why people decide to downsize.
- Your house is too big
- House requires too much maintenance and upkeep
- Save energy costs
- Ill health
- Financial reasons
- Your children have moved out
- Start a new chapter
Top tips for downsizing
- What Stays, What Goes? - This may be a particularly difficult task for many people, but it's definitely worth doing early on. Take a look at all the items in your home, and make a list of those you absolutely have to take with you, and those you feel comfortable passing on. If specific items have considerable sentimental value, then by all means keep them - just be prepared to let other pieces go. You don't want to feel cluttered in your new, smaller place. Perhaps enlist a friend's help, if you need to.
- Don't Leave it all to the Last Minute - Following on from the above, don't leave all of the decision making until the last moment: start passing items on at least three months before you move. This way, you'll slowly but surely get used to a smaller collection of items, and also keep the transition smooth.
- Measure up your New Place to your Current One - When you visit your new property, be sure to measure up rooms compared to those in your current place. For example, if your new living room will be roughly the same size as your current kitchen, think about the pieces you have in there now and try to imagine them translated to the new space.
- Don't Throw Anything Away - Just because you've decided you no longer need certain bits and pieces doesn't mean that you should throw them away. A great way to part with items is to sell them at a car boot sale or donate them to your local charity.
Downsizing can be a fun, liberating experience, and many couples find it a real joy. If you want to downsize quickly and sell your home hassle free for cash, contact Fast Sale Today and we'll be happy to discuss your options.